Spring Cleaning: Top tips for cleaning blinds
As many of us are starting to embark on our spring cleaning duties, our experts at Kingston Blinds Direct have compiled a list of top tips to help you clean your blinds thoroughly without causing any damage. While dusting your blinds may not be at the top of your list of chores, dedicating a few minutes of your time to this task whenever you clean your home can make the room feel lighter and more spacious.
A deep clean of your blinds should be carried out every six months to keep them in top working order and looking their best. Our recommendation of window treatments designed to keep your blinds clean and durable include:
1. Roman blinds
Whether you have flat, pleated or draped Roman blinds, we advise you attach a soft dusting brush to your vacuum cleaner and use on a low suction setting to remove any buildup of dust. Alternatively, you could carefully give the blinds a once over with a handheld vacuum cleaner fitted with the brush attachment if you find this option more convenient.
For any noticeable stains on your blinds, you could gently hand clean the marks using a damp, mildly soapy cloth, rinse and blot dry.
The traditional roller blinds design is now available in an extensive range of fabrics, patterns and textures so it’s important to handle them with immense care so as to not damage their appearance. Cleaning methods for roller blinds mainly depend on the material they are made of. For materials which can not be submerged in water, spot cleaning using a damp, moderately soapy sponge or cloth will be the only efficient cleaning method. If the fabric can be soaked in water, we advise you use the following steps:
1) Detach the blinds from the roller and gently lay them flat on the floor
2) Attach a soft brush to your vacuum cleaner and use a low setting to carefully remove any surface dirt.
3) Fill your bath/water container with warm water
4) Add some laundry detergent to the water and mix thoroughly until a few soapy suds appear on the surface.
Top tip: if your blinds are white, add a small amount of bleach to the water as well
5) Carefully lay the blinds in the water and allow to soak in the soapy water for a couple of hours.
6) Starting at one end of the blinds, gently wipe them using a soft cloth or sponge to remove any remaining dirt, stains or marks.
Top tip: scrub stubborn stains gently with an old toothbrush.
7) Drain the soapy water from the bath/container and refill with clean water to rinse the blinds; any soap residue will quickly collect dirt and dust so make sure it is completely removed.
8) Gently lay the blinds over a clothes line until they are completely dry and then attach them back onto the roller over the window.
3. Wood blinds
Wood blinds can be treated the same way as wood furniture during the spring cleaning process. Simply follow these 5 easy steps to remove any dirt or dust on the blinds:
1) Lower the blind so it’s extended to full length
2) Tilt the slats so they are virtually closed
3) Firmly holding the bottom rail, dust the slats using a soft, clean cloth, chemically treated treated dust cloth or dusting glove – reverse and repeat
4) For any stubborn dirt which is proving difficult to remove, dampen a microfibre cloth with warm water and wipe the slats clean
5) Finally, open the slats and allow to dry
Here at Kingston Blinds Direct we offer a comprehensive range of blinds available in a selection of patterns, colours, fabrics and designs to suit any domestic application. For superior convenience, we provide wipe clean and washable options to ensure your chosen blinds stay clean for longer. Our range includes:
– Roman blinds
= Roller blinds
– Wood blinds
– Vertical blinds
– Blackout blinds
– Venetian blinds
Simply contact our professional team today for further information about any of the blinds or services we provide – we are always happy to help with any enquiry.